Pear Plum Crisp
- 2 medium Bosc pears, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium Bartlett pears, cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 large plums, pitted and cut into thin wedges
- Grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- Grated zest and juice of 1/2 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
For the oat topping:
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pea sized pieces
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
Make the fruit filling:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon toss together the pears, plums, and the lemon and orange zest and juice. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and flour and stir until just combined. Set aside.
Make the oat topping:
In a small bowl, using a wooden spoon, toss together the butter and flour until the butter pieces are evenly coated. Add the oats and both sugars, and using your hands or the back of a wooden spoon, rub the mixture together until it resembles coarse meal.
Assemble the crisp:
Pour the filling into one 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan, and completely cover the top of the filling with the oat topping. Bake in the center of the oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven, let cool for 20 minutes, and serve slightly warm with a scoop of ice cream.
The crisp can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, and can be reheated in the microwave in 15-second bursts until warm.