Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

May 28, 2010

I haven’t been making cookies very much lately, even though they really are one of my favorite things to bake.  It seemed like a nearly impossible task without eggs…and butter! These Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies have changed my mind. I recently saw the recipe for these cookies on a cute blog called My Recession Kitchen. They looked so good that I figured I had better give them a whirl. These took literally minutes to throw together! I suppose I missed that buttery flavor just a bit but these cookies made up for it by living up to their name. They are crispy on the outside and nice and chewy inside, which, if you ask me…is exactly how a cookie should be! If you are looking for a dairy and/or egg free cookie I would definitely give these a try.  Now, off to think of all of the different variations I could experiment with on this cookie. Double chocolate perhaps? How come my mind always drifts to chocolate first?

adapted from My Recession Kitchen

Crispy Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 2/3 cup Earth Balance (or butter)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons of water
  • 1 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup chocolate chips (we like Trader Joe’s, they’re dairy free)

Preheat your oven to 350˚.  Put the Earth Balance, sugars and vanilla in a bowl.  Using a mixer, beat until light and creamy, about 2 minutes on medium speed.  Add the water and mix until blended.  In a separate bowl mix the flours, salt and baking powder.  Turn the speed of your mixer to the lowest setting and add the flour mixture.  Mix until the flour is incorporated.  Stir in the chocolate chips.  Place scoops of cookie dough on a cookie sheet and bake for 13 minutes.  Allow to cool a few minutes on the cookie sheet before removing to a cooling rack.

Kim April 28, 2013 at 8:50 pm

These were great! I just made them today – I didn’t have eggs and put in the internet looking for a recipe for eggless chocolate chips…and here I got yours! They are great. I will use this recipe for now on! Thank you

Nancy May 5, 2013 at 11:59 pm

:) :) Okay, I was pretty skeptical when I set out to make these, and when the batter turned out less like batter and more like dry chunks, I didn’t know what to think! But I balled up the chunky stuff and it had the consistency of cookie dough for sure. I flattened them best I could with a fork. They seemed so dry going into the oven! Well, they are finished cooking and cooling and my husband and I are eating them right now and they are some of the best cookies we have ever had!!!! WOW!! Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside and just perfect. Note: I used real butter and I added coconut :)

Angie May 18, 2013 at 4:29 pm

I didn’t want to make a trip to the store to get eggs so I googled a no egg chocolate chip cookie recipe and yours popped up. I loved how they were crunchy on the outside and soft in the middle. My husband even ate some dough batter. Great recipe. Thank you so much! :-)

Vianna June 17, 2013 at 6:33 pm

So I JUST took these cookies out of the oven and they are delicious! I didn’t have any eggs on me and I was too lazy to drive out and get some. I just wanted a quick chocolate fix and these cookies totally did the trick! I’ll admit I was pretty skeptical, most “insert specific ingredient here”-free cookies just don’t taste right. These were very good and I could hardly tell the difference between these and regular chocolate chip cookies. I did change one ingredient. I didn’t have any butter on hand either (I know, I really need to go shopping) so I used 2/3 cup of ap shortening and 4 tsp of water in place of the butter. They were just like you said, crispy on the outside and chewy gooey on the inside, my favorite!
Another plus is you could snack on the extra cookie dough while the cookies are in the oven and not have to worry about that pesky salmonella. :P

Mackinzy August 1, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Absolutely delicious!
I made these for the family and they were amazingly tasty. I mixed some Peanuy Butter in there too, and even put in Food Coloring. They looked scrumptious, and they were.
We didn’t have any eggs, and I was going to make Nutella Cookies but I couldn’t. Everyone thpught they wouldn’t be good since there were no eggs, but when they took a bite, they fell in love. :)

Virginia August 1, 2013 at 11:35 pm

Oh my goodness! I just baked a batch following this recipe and the cookies were delicious–perfectly crispy on the outside and chewy in the center! The only thing is I made it with real butter and tasted very rich…maybe next time I’ll try it with Earth Balance or even try substituting half of the amount of butter with applesauce. Thank you for sharing this recipe! It’s a keeper!

AKuehner August 5, 2013 at 7:56 pm

I just made these and was a bit unsure at first. After I tasted the batter I knew they were going to be awesome. I didn’t have vanilla so I used the same amount of maple syrup. I also didn’t have baking powder so I used half of the amount called for in baking soda. My first batch just came out of the oven……YUM!!! Very impressed, never thought cookies would be good without eggs. MUST TRY!!

Andi August 24, 2013 at 11:04 am

I think they taste very different from regular chocolate chip cookies but I don’t think it’s a bad thing. Solid recipe for a day when you just need cookies or you promise to bake something and you look in your fridge and your eggs are from May… anyways, thanks for sharing the recipe!

Court September 3, 2013 at 8:48 pm

I was out of eggs, so decided to try this recipe. Pleasantly surprised! They are really delicious!! Not to mention you can lick the bowl and not feel worried about getting sick! (Okay, maybe a little if you eat too much of it!) All in all a great cookie! Thanks for sharing!

Marian Carlyle September 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I didn’t have any eggs nut i wanted to surprise my sisters when they came home. I didn’t have time to bike to the store for eggs so i just Googled “chocolate chip cookies no eggs” this came up and it seemed easy enough so i put together the recipe while a Harry Potter marathon on ABC Family was playing in the background. I finished in no time and the cookies are absolutely delicious. Especially considering that i didn’t have any eggs!

Jordan September 16, 2013 at 11:25 am

Yummy! Thanks for sharing! They are in the oven now and it was safe for the family to lick the spoon with no eggs ;)

Rose September 16, 2013 at 1:18 pm

These cookies were AMAZING! I am egg intolerant and it can be difficult finding a good chocolate chip cookie recipe without eggs. I did make a few adjustments to the recipe. I didn’t have vanilla extract, but the cookies tasted good without it. Also, I read the ingredients wrong and only put 1 1/3 cup of flour. It really didn’t make a difference. I added an entire package of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Lastly, I baked the cookies for 15 instead of 13 minutes and the cookies had a nice crispy golden brown edge (which I like in a cookie). When I pulled them out of the oven and let them cool for about 10 minutes, they were soft, crunchy, gooey, and above all, DELICIOUS. I’m so happy to have found this recipe!

Juwayriah November 7, 2013 at 2:17 pm

How many servings do you use? I made the cookies but they are so few cookies, not enough to feed 7 people, but great recipe Thank You so much for sharing the recipe, please reply.

Juwayriah November 7, 2013 at 2:19 pm

Thank God I found your recipe, I ran out of eggs so I googled egg less cookies and your website popped up and saved me, Thank You!

Angie November 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Wow!!! These are by far the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever tried. So chewy and a bit crispy on the outside.

alyy November 16, 2013 at 6:12 am

I have no eggs and I got a random craving for cookies at 10pm lol they worked great! fluffy and yummy, i added a dash xtra vanilla essence and i added chopped up white baking chocolate and chopped up fudge bits, just fudge off the shelf! yummo!

Serina December 5, 2013 at 11:28 pm

thanks for this recipe, like all the comments before it these are by far one of the best and easiest cookies I’ve made and in general I struggle with cookies. I didn’t have any choc chips so I used raisins instead and they still turned out great. I will definitely be making these again. :)

Camie December 10, 2013 at 5:06 pm

I just couldn’t get excited enough to drive to the store for eggs. Found this recipe, added two tbsps. of half-n-half instead of water, threw in a cup of oatmeal, baked at 350 for 13 minutes and let cool on the rack. I cover my cookies with tinfoil or wax paper to keep them moist as they cool. Let me tell you, my husband and I were IN LOVE with the results. You’d never know there weren’t any eggs in these cookies. I like to add oatmeal because it makes my cookies rise up nice and lovely. Thank you so much—might just leave out the eggs entirely from now on.

Tashalee January 16, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I hate to use the term, but here it goes.. OMG I’ll be throwing all my other chocolate chip recipes away using this as “The best cookie” I’ve ever had!! I used milk instead of water but still DELICIOUS!! Thanks for sharing :)

Nat January 20, 2014 at 3:07 pm

I was craving something sweet but had no eggs. I’m glad I found this recipe and made these last night and they came out just wonderful!! I would add 5 min to cooking time. Thank you for this recipe!

Katie February 19, 2014 at 3:04 pm

excellent recipe for cookies with no eggs!! A little salty though, so i would recommend changing it to half a teaspoon :)

Taylor March 18, 2014 at 3:39 pm

Tried these this evening and they are FIT. Forgot to add the brown sugar the first time, but they were just as nice. Added chocolate covered popcorn and hazelnuts to mine. NOM. Thanks for the recipe.

I’m quite fussy, so give this a go. You will not regret it!

aw April 14, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Thank you for this recipe. I ran out of eggs and wanted chocolate chip cookies. These are so good, that my family only wants these. I will not be using my old recipe anymore. These taste sooooo awesome, and they bake better than the recipe I used to use (Tollhouse). Thanks again:)

Aggy May 4, 2014 at 11:53 am

I just tried this recipe and they came out great! Going to pour me a glass of milk and go to work. Definitely a keeper.

kd July 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm

we didn’t have eggs so i searched for an eggless recipe, and found this on pinterest. Was nervous about the powdery mix but we squished the dough and molded the balls with our hands and plopped em on the trey. They turned out SO GOOD. one of the best recipes i’ve ever made.

MrsGraham July 16, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I have a serious sweet tooth and was like many of the other reviews, I too was out of eggs and was searching for an eggless cookie recipe. The result was fantastic! Easy to make and they are crispy around the edges and chewy in the middle. I didn’t have chocolate chips so substituted some M&ms that I had and truly enjoyed it! I’m not a fan of cakes cookies so these somewhat flat cookies were awesome. This recipe is now my go to recipe for chocolate chip (or M&m) cookies. You will enjoy!

Michelle Farah November 19, 2014 at 6:08 pm

OMG! Thanks for the recipe. I have been trying to make cookies like these for the past few years since going Vegan/GF and have had horrible results. I followed the recipe exactly except I used Wholesome Chow’s GF All Purpose Flour. I got a Crispy Outside and Chewy Inside. AMAZING! <3