Banana Chocolate Fudge Bars

It has been too long since I posted a recipe containing chocolate! I must remedy that immediately.  I have made these Banana Chocolate Fudge Bars about a half dozen times in the last month. I have been tweaking the recipe here and there and I honestly just don’t see how these bars could be any more delicious now.  They are seriously so addicting! I love the combination of banana and chocolate. The banana flavor is subtle but it still really compliments the chocolate. I have been playing around using mashed banana in place of eggs in cookies and bars (for allergy concerns in my family, if you are new to Becky Bakes) and have had amazing results. These bars are egg-free and I made them dairy-free as well but you would never know it.  These are especially to die for right out of the oven. Rich fudgy chocolate and melting chocolate chips. Oh man, I want to go make them again right now! So, if you have dietary concerns or not, try these. I think you’re gonna love ’em!

Banana Chocolate Fudge Bars

• 1/2 cup butter*
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 medium banana, mashed
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/3 cup dark cocoa
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips**

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. Beat butter, crisco, sugar, and brown sugar until light and creamy. Add mashed banana and vanilla and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

Press batter into a lightly greased 8×8 baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out semi-clean. Cool for a few minutes, if you can, and then dive in. These won’t cut quite as cleanly, of course, if cut when warm. Believe me. It’s worth it.

~These bars would be great with additions such as coconut, macadamia nuts, pecans, etc.

*I like Earth Balance as a butter substitute

**Trader Joe’s brand chocolate chips are really good and dairy free.

1. Tina says

These look delicious! Do you think you could make them with all butter, no shortening?

2. Ana says

Hi Becky, I have a 6 year old with egg/nut/sea food allergy, so I can relate all to well to this. My son loves this one that is egg free as well:
    Shortbread cookie

* 2 cups butter, softened (or butter substitute)
    * 1 cup white sugar
    * 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    * 4 cups all-purpose flour
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
    2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in vanilla; add flour and mix well.
    3. Put through cookie press and form cookies onto baking sheets. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes.

They are great and the dough freezes well. Just let it come to room temperature before making the cookies.
    Thank you for sharing.

3. says

those look amazing, i’ll have to save the recipe and make them sometime :) actually, all the food in this blog look great!

4. Becky says

Yes, food blogs can be dangerous places can’t they?! Thanks for the nice comment:-)

5. Jodi says

I made this recipe and it had no resemblance to the photo.
    I’m wondering if you forgot one of the ingredients?
    My bars were very dry, hard and crumbly, not at all what I was craving.
    Hope you can help.

6. Becky says

Hi Jodi,
    I’m so sorry these didn’t turn out for you! I made them again this morning because I couldn’t stand the fact that something might be amiss with the recipe:-) They turned out great for me again so I think the recipe is accurate. Here are a couple of thoughts: these should probably be slightly under-baked to achieve that fudgy effect. I baked mine a bit longer this time and they were definitely crisping up around the edges a bit more. So you could try to bake them not quite so long especially if you think your oven tends to run a bit hot.
    Also, I have never actually made these with real butter, just a butter replacement. I don’t think this should cause a problem though…the results should be very similar. My only other tip is in measuring the flour. I always use this method it can really make a difference. I hope that helps! I really enjoy these bars so I hope it goes better next time!

7. Jodi says

Thanks for responding so quickly Becky, and I love the flour tip. I will go and try this recipe again this weekend as I only have time to bake over the weekend. I was so looking forward to eating it last time as I live in Asia and baking ingredients are expensive and hard to find and then when it didn’t turn out was very sad. However, I crumbled up the result, added butter and pressed it into a pie pan a la graham cracker crust, then filled it with banana slices and chocolate pudding for a very tasty cold dessert.

8. Becky says

Hi Jodi,
    I hate wasting ingredients too! What a genius solution you came up with though…sounds delish! A very creative way to keep the banana and chocolate theme going!

9. christie says

Becky, I haven’t read through all of your site, yet, so please forgive me if the answer to my question is already there! My question is, have you ever tried applesauce to replace the oil/fat in your baking? It works great in just about any recipe, especially cakes or cake-like brownies. I have tried bananas, like you, and love the subtle flavor it gives a recipe. Have you tried baking banana bread w/o any butter or oil? I have a great recipe that I will share with you, if you don’t already have one for it. I’m excited about getting to “know” your site- I absolutely love to bake. Have a great week! Christie

10. Emily says

These are divine!
    I doubled the batch and made them them in a 9×13 pan. I put them in the oven for 25 minutes originally and ended up with 29 minutes total. The only problem is that they sank down a bit while they were cooling! The edges stayed up but the rest sunk a half inch or so down (the edges are a little harder too, but not very much). Do you know why this would happen?
    They still taste amazing though so I don’t mind! :) I will definitely be making these instead of normal brownies in the future – these are way better!

11. Becky says

I’m so glad you liked them Emily! I love these too! As far as the sinking goes I think a bit of that is normal..they are a pretty dense and fudgy bar. It might be that they were slightly underdone but you don’t want to overbake them either since these tend to get harder around the edges if overdone. Doubling the recipe may have contributed a bit as well but I can definitely understand wanting more of these! Thanks for your feedback.

12. Becky says

Hi Christie! I have found that I have pretty good success subbing about half the fat with applesauce in recipes such as banana bread. When I try to do more than that I run into texture issues. I love trying new recipes so if you’d like to message me your recipe on facebook I would be happy to give it a whirl. Good to hear from you!

13. Yelin says

Hi Becky! I’m new to your blog and I can see that you have some amazing recipes! Can’t wait to try them out. I was just wondering, you mentioned the usage of cups to measure ingredients. May I just ask whether those cups you use are those plastic disposable ones? Thanks!

14. says

I just made these the other day and they were amazing! Pretty intense, but definitely delicious! I wrote up a blog post and linked to your recipe here:

Btw, I substituted coconut oil (which is firm at room temp) instead of the shortening, and the brownies turned out really well. It’s definitely more healthy than shortening, and has a better flavor all together. Just though you’d be interested!

Great recipe!

15. Rosalee says

Hi Becky, I would just like to let you know, and thank you for your amazing website. I’m only a teenager but I love to bake and you certainly inspired me to bake even more! All your recipes sound delicious and I can’t wait to try them out! Especially these amazing looking banana chocolate fudge bars!