Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread Cookies

December 10, 2010

This is my favorite cookie all week! Isn’t it gorgeous? It tastes as good as it looks too…maybe better. If this cookie doesn’t say holiday I don’t know what does. It is full of molasses,  ginger, and chocolate. I don’t see how it gets much better than that! The dough was really easy to throw together. Make it the day before so it can get a good chill if you can. Then just roll balls of dough in sugar, bake, and press a lovely piece of chocolate gently into the center when they are still warm. These cookies smelled so divine! I hope you’ll enjoy making, and eating, these as much as I did. This cookie just might be the star of your cookie tray this year:-)

I loved sharing cookie recipes with you this week! I have a couple more up my sleeve that I will share shortly, I have been tweaking an allergy friendly oatmeal cookie for my little boys’ that is gluten, egg, and dairy-free. It has been quite a hit around here.  Keep your eye out for a wonderfully decadent chocolate cheesecake as well!  Have a fantastic weekend! I hope you have time to do a little cookie baking, and maybe get some of that wrapping done while they bake;-)

Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread Cookies

3 cups flour
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. nutmeg (I omitted)
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Semi-sweet or dark chocolate disks (I used Trader Joe’s chocolate callets)*

Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in large bowl.
Using a mixer, beat butter and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies just begin to brown. Immediately press a callet into the center of each cookie. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Store cookies in airtight container up to 5 days.

*No Trader Joe’s nearby? These chocolate buttons from King Arthur Flour look very similar to what I used.

I came across this delightful recipe (and slightly adapted it) on Peabody’s yummy blog!

Rachel December 10, 2010 at 12:22 pm

This looks delicious! I want to somehow combine it with this brownie recipe

Becky December 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Those brownies look delish. It would be fun to try a gingerbread/brownie combo! I’ll bet you could do a brownie base followed by a layer of gingerbread, with ganache on top. Oooh, I’m tempted:-)

Catherine December 10, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I looooove gingerbread and chocolate! These look delish!

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls December 10, 2010 at 1:50 pm

OH MY! These look ridiculously delicious! I’m going to have to make these asap! YUM!!!!

Becky December 10, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Thanks! I hope you get a chance to make them! They are really delicious…I just ate another one a little bit ago;-)

megan @ whatmegansmaking December 10, 2010 at 3:23 pm

These look INCREDIBLE! I am saving this recipe, can’t wait to make them! Beautiful pictures too! :)

Becky December 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Thanks Megan! Um…your cranberry bliss bars are now calling me!

geni December 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm

This is my first time on your blog and I will have to make it a habit to stop by more often. These cookies look amazing and I can’t wait to try adding a puddle of chocolate to ginger cookies! YUM!

Amanda December 10, 2010 at 4:21 pm

So beautiful… and I am sure mouth watering-ly delicious!!!

Madeline December 10, 2010 at 8:13 pm

How many cookies did this make. I want to make them for a party I’m having!!

Becky December 10, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Hi Madeline!
I’m sure they will be a hit! I can’t tell you exactly how many cookies the recipe makes as I didn’t make all of them yet. I just baked a couple of pans and stuck the rest of the dough in the freezer to be made up fresh later. The recipe originates from McCormick. I checked their site and it says it makes 5 dozen. I don’t know if it’s just me (maybe I like larger cookies) but I always find that my dough doesn’t stretch as far as the recipe says. Happy calculating:-)

Jennie @ Oh, Sweet Day! December 11, 2010 at 12:14 pm

These look SO good!!!! I love the pairing of chocolate and gingerbread!!!

Brittany December 19, 2010 at 7:27 am

I think that the combination of gingerbread with chocolate would be really delicious. Plus the thumbprint design is cute for the holiday season !

Lost January 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Hello!
I’m a new reader of your blog. It’s wonderful! I was inspired and made these cookies over the holidays and they were easy AND a huge hit! Thank you for posting it. I substituted some whole pecans for some instead of the callets for some cookies and it was excellent!

Looking forward to more recipes and good eats! Happy 2011!

Hallie April 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

Thanks for the recipe! These are delicious and easy to make. German Lebkuchen is only sold around Christmas, but you can make this yummy alternative anytime you get a craving!

Andrea (questfordelish) December 18, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I usually make these with peanut butter cookies. I think I will try gingerbread this year. thanks for sharing.

Becky December 18, 2011 at 3:08 pm

Peanut butter and chocolate is a classic combo for sure…..but during the holidays it’s hard to beat gingerbread and chocolate!

Naomi December 25, 2011 at 2:33 am

I made these for my family this week and they were a huge hit! Delicious and full of holiday spirit :) Thanks for the recipe!

Becky December 26, 2011 at 12:14 pm

So glad everyone liked them Naomi!

Peggy June 3, 2012 at 8:50 pm

OH I never thought of adding chocolate to my molasses cookies! In fact this is the same EXACT recipe (minus chocolate) my grandma passed on to me which she had made since the early 1920′s. Her recipe only made 4 dozen cookies. You know, they weren’t huge but just the right size for dunking in hot cocoa… duh, I should have made the correlation that the two would be great together! I know it is summer time but I am definitely going to have to make a batch up!!

Becky June 4, 2012 at 7:16 am

These are one of my favorite cookies Peggy! I’m sure they’ll be equally delicious in the summer:-)