Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

January 20, 2011

Alright, confession time. My first impression of these cookies was not a super positive one. I mean, don’t get me wrong…I love a good chocolate chip cookie. And Oreos easily top the list among my favorite “store bought” cookies. The idea of combining them just threw me. When I first saw this Oreo creation on Picky Palate I thought they looked a little gross (sorry Jenny). Just a bit too sweet for my taste, which sounds so very wrong by the way. I was a little curious though. Then I saw them again on Sing for your Supper.  Boy, these were really getting around. I just couldn’t be left out. I caved to the peer pressure, and let me tell you that I am so glad I did. Oh boy…this one’s a doozy, but in a decidedly good way.

I am really not even sure how to describe these. They are very sweet, but delightfully so. I loved them warm from the oven all gooey and melty. Sooo good. Jenny recommends using Double Stuff Oreos and I wholeheartedly concur with that advice. If your looking for a fun and decadent treat these would definitely fit the bill! So, I stand corrected, these are amazing. Oh, and I’m already dreaming up other variations (just a warning)!

Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies

recipe from the fantabulous Jenny of Picky Palate

2 sticks (1 cup) softened butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon pure vanilla
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
10 oz bag chocolate chips
1 pkg. Oreo cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cream butter and sugars together with a mixer until well combined.  Beat in eggs and vanilla.

In a separate bowl mix the flour, salt and baking soda.  Slowly add to wet ingredients along with chocolate chips until just combined.  Using a cookie scoop take one scoop of cookie dough and place on top of an Oreo Cookie.  Take another scoop of dough and place on bottom of Oreo cookie.  Seal edges together by pressing and cupping in hand until Oreo cookie is enclosed with dough.  Place onto a parchment or silpat lined baking sheet and bake cookies 9-13 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

NOTE: Some bakers have had some trouble with their dough spreading too much during baking. If that becomes a problem, throw the dough balls into the fridge for a quick chill before baking. That should solve the dilemma beautifully:-)

Makes about 2 dozen VERY LARGE cookies.

Kamehanamauloa February 20, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Just sank my teeth into a cookie. Oh sooo delicious. No problems with the dough. Look like I’m doing double workouts after eating these. Here in Hawaii when something tastes this good we say “BROKE DA MOUTH”.
Mahalo (Thank you) for sharing the recipe. Aloha *=o)

lisette March 3, 2012 at 10:16 pm

My dough was super gooey….I double checked the recipe, don’t know what wwent wrong they came out a little dry :/

Amybeth4 March 10, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I was so excited when I saw this recipe on Tue that I had to make them today, Sat.

I’m no baker. I’m one of those people who loves to read recipes and reviews but I’m scared to try anything, even though I have a fabulous KitchenAid mixer.

So tonight I had six people over, and being the Oreo’s 100th Anniversary Week, I had to make these.

Here are a few hints for the non-bakers.

The recipe is easy to follow. However, with the first few, I kind of moved them around my hands like someone making meatballs would. That ended up with a lot of broken Oreos within the choc chip cookie batter, although no one would probably know the difference. But I did learn that working with your fingers vs. the palms of your hands DEFINITELY fixes that problem.

The other thing is you really can’t bury more than six Oreos into the batter before it’s time to put the batter into the fridge for a good thirty minutes. It just gets WAY too soft/warm/melty.

So now you’ve made six cookie/Oreo bombs, refrigerated the dough and made six more and put them on your fancy-schmancy Silpat, and baked them. My oven took a good 20 minutes. These, like I said, are bombs, not cookies. They’re huge.

Everyone I made them for said they were DELICIOUS but tasted exactly as if I had baked chocolate chip cookies and put them on a plate with a side of Oreos. In other words, not worth the effort. Bake a cookie, take a bite, them take a bite of an Oreo and you get the same (albeit easy) thing.

Malina March 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I added this to my Pinterest account some time ago and just today had the chance to make these. I have 2 words…GOT MILK? These are delicious! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Becky March 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Ha ha:-) Yup, milk is a must for these!!

Laura March 23, 2012 at 11:40 am

So has anyone tried these with mini-chocolate chips? It seems when I use the big ones I break the Oreos. Probably because I’m pressing down too hard to get the big chips to stick.

Leanna March 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm

As odd as this sounds, I am not a fan of oreos at all. But what attracted me to this recipe was my experience tasting deep fried oreos. It made them gooey and not hard at all, and it just worked! does this cookie make the oreo gooey too or does the oreo remain crispy?

thanks!

Cris April 17, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Wondering if this recipe makes the chocolate chip and oreo chewy?

Kim April 29, 2012 at 7:23 am

Hey Becky!

Just wanted to say what a great recipe! I baked lovely oreo-stuffed cookies yesterday for my children and it went down a treat – they absolutely loved it! Your recipes are amazing, keep them coming :)

Marilyn May 2, 2012 at 11:30 am

spread too much even though I refrigerated for 30 min. took forever to cook.

Debbie June 2, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I love this recipe <3 I had no problems with the making of the cookies, and everyone who ate them love the cookies too.

sydney June 7, 2012 at 10:49 am

Wow this looks so cool I was just wondering how big these getceveryone says thy r huge

Katie June 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I cant bake

NO really … so wondering about using Pillsbury cookie dough and if it will spread out too much…??

Ideas?

Madeline June 20, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I had a craving for overindulgent sweet and chocolate, so I made these cookies. I ate one bite, and I fell in love. Thank you for this recipe!!

Becky June 20, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Katie – try adding a couple extra tbsp. of flour to the dough. Chilling the dough balls before baking should also help! Happy baking:-)

Helen June 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm

hi! I want to make these for my class and i want them fresh so i want to bake them in the morning. can i make the cookies and leave them in the fridge over night and bake them the next morning?

Becky June 25, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Absolutely Helen! They should turn out perfectly:-)

Sandra June 29, 2012 at 9:44 am

This is an amazing recipe! Thank you.
They were well-liked by ALL (my co-workers, and my kids).
This is a keeper. :)

Bree July 2, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I tried this idea on my own and it was a disaster, the dough spread out and melted into a flat sheet with a Oreo bump in the middle. I hope this recipe works better.

Sara July 18, 2012 at 8:56 am

Would baking the cookies in a cupcake tin work?

Becky July 18, 2012 at 9:28 am

That’s a really good idea Sara! I have not tried it but let me know if you do!

Alexis July 25, 2012 at 7:01 pm

I loved these cookies, they were absolutely delicious and I also found a good size. One was enough to keep you content! I’m so glad I ran into this blog, best thing to get you back in the kitchen and inspired. Great work!! Can’t wait to try all your recipes!

Jess August 11, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Sooooooo… I just made these and they are like small pieces of heaven :) . The only tips that I have are
1) Listen to this women when she says to put the cookie dough in the refrigerator for at least 25-30 minutes to harden the dough.
2) When you are mixing the first part (liquids) begin to also mix the chocolate chips into the liquid ingredients so that once you combine the powder and liquid ingredients together the chips are double mixed into the dough.
3) Lightly cover the dough with the Oreo for two reasons; one you will be able to have more dough and cookies in the end and reach at least 2 dozen cookies, two they wont be so big in diameter.
Alright those are my tips :) wishing you all good luck with this recipe, I know i did.

Jess August 11, 2012 at 8:39 pm

One more thing soorry, if you guys don’t own a conventional oven, ( Which I don’t), then cook it for about 25 minutes this time, ( I believe), is for the conventional ovens.

Becca August 25, 2012 at 11:36 am

These look like fun to make! Has anyone ever tried freezing them?

Michelle August 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Can you just get the already made cookie dough and wrap the cookies?

Becky August 28, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I have not tried this myself Michelle. The consensus has been to add a 1/4 cup of flour or so to the store bought mix. This should make the dough stay on the cookie when baked!

Laura September 5, 2012 at 9:17 am

Have just discovered your site!! I am so excited to try and make the Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie! I make one similiar but it is a peanut butter cookie with a reeses cup in the middle or a snickers in the middle. But to put a cookie inside a cookie, Genius! I’ll let you know how it goes! Thanks

Becky September 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Happy to have you here Laura!

Lyndsie September 24, 2012 at 2:21 am

Making these for the second time now. First it was just a test to see how good they were but now I’m making 5 dozen for all the boys in my college automotive classes. Finals are tomorrow and I’m sure these would lighten us all up after those long, boring tests. Thanks for the most amazing-est cookies ever! :D

Becky September 24, 2012 at 8:42 am

Fun Lyndsie! They will love them:-)

Gabby September 28, 2012 at 6:37 pm

i love the oreo stuffed chocolate chip cookies. next time imma make the nutter butter ones cuz they sound good too! !!!!!!! yay for these awesome recipes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cass October 3, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Making these right now! :) The dough got a little dry while I was mixing in the flour, but I just put in a splash of milk and that helped. You certainly weren’t kidding when you said they were very large. Mine are HUGE! Now my kitchen smells delicious! Thanks for posting! :D

Ashely Jones October 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Making them today! Wish me luck!

Denise November 1, 2012 at 11:01 pm

Just made these with the Oreo fudge creme cookies (they ran out of regular Oreos at my supermarket – imagine that)… I put the batter in the freezer for about 5-10 minutes before putting them on the pan. I used a little baking spray on muffin/cupcake tins and they came out amazing! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Charlene November 10, 2012 at 6:54 am

I made these stuffed with Reese’s peanut butter cups . . . BETTER than the Oreos! And tomorrow, I will be experiencing stuffing each one with all different kinds of leftover Halloween candy! (Milky Ways, Snickers, etc.)

kimo December 3, 2012 at 5:40 pm

glad i stumbled on to your blog! will try your recipe soon! thanks

Amanda December 9, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I haven’t tried these yet….but I believe you are a culinary goddess!

Kitty Bea January 7, 2013 at 1:10 pm

This was just what I was looking for with a extra half pack of oreos around… very clever, but they are indeed huge cookies, for serving I actually cut them in half… and my brother thought they were a little salty, Idk. I did reduce the sugar a little since Oreos are already really sweet.

Giannia February 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm

Great recipe! Made 2 batches for my job’s potluck today and they were a hit. Everyone kept asing for more, can’t wait to make them again!

Kate March 24, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I just made these…cut the recipe in half because I wasn’t going to be making the whole package of Oreos. Somehow they turned out EXTREMELY greasy, not sure if it was the butter or maybe even the type of chocolate chips. Next time I’d try to use less butter.

Gwen September 23, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Oh please, this is a diabetic waiting to happen! So far from Mother Nature, it is not funny

sarah December 23, 2013 at 6:24 pm

I was wondering can you make in advance? 24 hours or so before serving?

Are they are good room temp as hot?

Is the oreo mooshy inside?

thanks

Tina March 1, 2014 at 5:35 pm

Def put the batter in the fridge or freezer!!!!!

Deanna May 18, 2014 at 9:37 pm

I have to say these were a bit drier than I expected.i noticed they have one whole cup more flour than a reg choc chip recipe so I’m thinking I’d use less if I were to make these again

Arianna Robillard July 3, 2014 at 12:30 pm

I used peanut butter oreos and they were a massive hit! So goooooood(: