Nutter Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies

January 24, 2011

I am just loving the whole stuffed cookie concept! As soon as I made Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies I knew I wanted to try a Nutter Butter version too. I’m even more excited to bring you these delicious cookies after the Oreo version was met with such enthusiasm.  Apparently a cookie within a cookie causes quite a stir…and rightfully so…if one cookie is good, then two cookies are twice as good, right? Seems perfectly logical to me!

Look at these cookies. They looks so innocent don’t they? One would never suspect that a yummy surprise awaits inside. I was actually going to stuff the Nutter Butters inside a peanut butter cookie (which I still think would be good) but in the end I just had to go with chocolate. And boy, are these ever chocolate! The recipe called for semi-sweet chocolate but I used bittersweet and they were amazing.  Very rich. If you want to tone down the intensity of the chocolate try the semi-sweet. The chocolate was actually so intense that it almost overpowered the peanut butter flavor. I’m still giving this two thumbs up though because the Nutter Butters ended up with such an interesting texture. I was trying to figure out what they reminded me of and then I realized they felt similar to the inside of a Butterfinger…very good.

Does anybody have any other cookie stuffing ideas? Please do share. In the meantime, go get some Nutter Butters!

Nutter Butter Stuffed Chocolate Cookies

• 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 package Nutter Butter cookies

Heat chopped chocolate and butter in a microwave safe bowl for 20 second increments, stirring often, until chocolate is smooth (be careful not to overheat). Set aside.

In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a mixing bowl beat eggs, brown sugar, and vanilla on high speed until light and fluffy. Lower speed and add melted chocolate. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Batter will be thin.

Refrigerate 30 minutes until the dough thickens and becomes easier to handle. Meanwhile, break some of the Nutter Butters in half (you won’t need the whole bag). After dough has refrigerated use a spoon or cookie scoop to make some dough balls. I found it easiest to have one pans worth ready before assembling. Sandwich the Nutter Butter between two dough balls and mold the dough around the cookie. The dough is a little sticky but it’s still pretty easy to work with.

Bake @ 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes. The shorter time will produce a gooier cookie so it just depends on how you like them. In case you can’t tell, I like them a little gooey!

Source: I adapted the chocolate cookie recipe from Martha’s Outrageous Chocolate Cookie.

Summer January 24, 2011 at 10:19 pm

Oh holy crap. I just came across your blog referenced on Jeremy Lawson’s (http://webmail.jeremylawsonphotography.com/blog.cfm). I can’t WAIT to try some of these goodies out! Your recipes look absolutely mouthwateringly AWESOME!! Guess this means I’m going to have to invest in a mixer :)

Tim January 25, 2011 at 12:38 am

Thanks to your blog (being linked on twitter by @lartist), I tried the Oreo Stuff Chocolate Chip cookies (which were delicious) and then tried E.L. Fudge Stuff Chocolate Chip cookies; not as good. The two flavors are too similar–I think the Oreo stuffed cookies give a good chocolate/cream contrast with the chocolate chip cookie flavor.

For what it’s worth, I recommend going with different, contrasting flavors, not similar ones. Nutter Butters inside Peanut Butter cookies might be a little too much of a similar flavor for it to really “pop”.

Becky January 25, 2011 at 6:59 am

You might have a point about the peanut butter on peanut butter flavors Tim. I’m glad the Oreo cookies worked out for you!

Beauty & the Feast January 25, 2011 at 7:02 am

I came across the Oreo-stuffed cookie the other day and was enamored with the idea. Now, I think you’re taking it to a whole other level with the Nutter Butter….chocolate..peanut butter…YUM.
I love this 2 for one cookie concept. Love it sosososososo much.

Ashley January 25, 2011 at 9:56 am

I made the oreo ones this weekend and my husband can’t stop eating them! I can’t wait to try these! =)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday January 26, 2011 at 10:05 am

For some reason these look and sound a bit more appetizing that the oreo stuffed cookies. Are they as sweet?

Becky January 26, 2011 at 10:39 am

These have a more intense chocolate flavor because I used bittersweet chocolate. I’m sure they would be more sweet if using semi-sweet chocolate.

Kelli January 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm

These look so yummy! I may have to try these and the chocolate chip oreo ones:) I think a mint cookie inside a chocolate chip cookie would be really yummy, and maybe those strawberry wafer cookies inside a peanut butter cookie for a PB&J effect:)

Lisa January 27, 2011 at 11:55 pm

Oh my word, a cookie in a cookie. Life doesn’t get any better than that. I have a linky party on my blog every week called “Sweets for a Saturday” and I’d like to invite you to stop by this weekend and link this up.

liz January 28, 2011 at 1:03 pm

holy crow! you’re my favorite person!!! thank you for sharing!!!! :)

Romina January 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

For another idea, maybe you could try stuffing a Resee’s Peanut Butter Cup inside a sugar cookie. I know its not a cookies, but just think about it; the chocolate and peanut butter would be all melty and gooey. Delicioso!

james January 31, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I agree with the previous post please try and come up with a cookie that includes a resee’s peanut butter cup

emiglia February 1, 2011 at 8:50 am

I love this idea! Too bad we don’t have Nutter Butters in France… they were my favorites when I was growing up.

Katie February 3, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I made both the oreo and the nutter butter cookies and I really liked them both. I have to say though that the nutter butter/chocolate dough was much harder for me to work with. I ended up kind of smashing the nutter butter cookie inside the dough. I think I left the dough in the frig too long, but they were still yummy!

Terri February 3, 2011 at 6:18 pm

We don’t have Nutter Butters in Canada either I think….but I made a cookie at Christmas time that had a peanut butter ball (peanut butter, sugar and a little flour) inside a chocolate cookie….it was amazing!

erika February 8, 2011 at 3:48 pm

There’s a recipe for a peanut butter cookie with a mini reese cup inside. It’s delish. I tried these and they were wonderful.

Laura March 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I made the oreo and chocolate chip ones, but instead i used chocolate chips mixed with mint chips and it turned out really really yummy!(:

Love to bake April 5, 2011 at 3:06 pm

Did anyone ever try this with the refrigerator cookie dough? Thought it might be a short cut? Please let me know ….I am anxious to try this out!

Becky April 5, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Love to Bake – I think this has been tried with store purchased dough. From what I understand the dough spreads too much…you might try adding a little extra flour to the dough. Good luck!

Julia April 30, 2011 at 1:15 am

Yum yum yum! Just made a double-batch. The dough is incredibly soft, should have refrigerated for at least two hours. But the results are amazing–hoping they taste this good when they reach Afghanistan! The chocolate cookie recipe will also definitely get used again. Thanks!

Patty May 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm

I made these last week and they were delicious! For me, it seemed like the dough was a little soft (after refrigerating for 1 hour) so I stuck it in the freezer for awhile and it worked well. Thanks for the recipe! Another stuffed cookie recipe I have tried that is great is peanut butter cookie dough stuffed with Snickers. Delightful!

Gayle December 7, 2011 at 2:31 pm

How about Reeses Pieces inside? :o )

Becky December 7, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Oooh…I LOVE Reeses Pieces!

Donna November 6, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Almond joy or mounds is really good