Chocolate Chip Cookies ~ Bakery Style

March 5, 2011

Do you need something delicious to make this weekend? I would like to introduce you to my favorite new chocolate chip cookie! It’s so hard for me to settle on a “favorite” recipe for anything. Sometimes it just depends on my mood or how much time I want to spend. Really, I don’t know that I have ever made a chocolate chip cookie that wasn’t at least worthy of eating. This recipe however, is exceptional. They have the best flavor and texture…so yummy! They are a little bit more “work” in that they require bread and cake flour, which one doesn’t always have on hand. They are worth the extra effort! My husband even liked these and he isn’t a cookie lover at all (don’t ask me how that is possible!). The measurements in this recipe are also a little particular. While not necessary, a food scale is really helpful. A scale makes measuring quick and easy and you know your ingredients will be exact. I use my scale often and it’s a great kitchen tool to have on hand…and don’t these look worth it!

Chocolate Chip Cookies ~ Bakery Style

• 2 cups minus 2 tablespoons (8 1/2 ounces) cake flour
  • 1 2/3 cups (8 1/2 ounces) bread flour
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
  • 2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
  • 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) light brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (8 ounces) granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent cacao content*
  • sea salt

Sift flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.

Using a mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together until very light, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla. Reduce speed to low, add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, 5 to 10 seconds. Drop chocolate pieces in and incorporate them without breaking them. Press plastic wrap against dough and refrigerate for 24 to 36 hours.** Dough may be used in batches, and can be refrigerated for up to 72 hours.

When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. Set aside.

Scoop 6 3 1/2-ounce mounds of dough (the size of generous golf balls) onto baking sheet, making sure to turn horizontally any chocolate pieces that are poking up; it will make for a more attractive cookie. Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and bake until golden brown but still soft, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer sheet to a wire rack for 10 minutes, then slip cookies onto another rack to cool a bit more. Repeat with remaining dough, or reserve dough, refrigerated, for baking remaining batches the next day. Eat warm, with a big napkin.

*You can find chocolate disks at King Arthur Flour. Trader Joe’s sells semi-sweet callets that we buy all the time, here is a picture of them. For this batch of cookies I used what I had on had which was Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chips. I think the thing to remember with chocolate is that better quality will produce tastier results. I just like to balance in cost and ease of procurement  as well.

**The recipe calls for a refrigeration time. I, however, have no self-dicipline (at least not when it comes to cookies) so I made one pan right away and refrigerated the rest. The refrigerated batch did seem to get elevated to a whole new level but the first pan we made got gobbled up in no time too;-) I will leave refrigeration time to your discretion. I will say that I love making cookies in fresh batches. What’s better than a warm fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookie?!

Source: David Leite via The Essential New York Times Cookbook.

Rachel March 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm

These look sinful! I’ve seen this recipe before and I’ve wanted to try it, but I never have bread flour! I bought some today though, so this is just the push I need to make these. Thanks for the recipe.

Becky March 5, 2011 at 9:10 pm

You’ll love ‘em Rachel!

Jenn@eatcakefordinner March 5, 2011 at 11:38 pm

I am always up to try a new chocolate chip cookie recipe! I just made a new recipe for them the other day and the picture of them was pretty fat, but mine turned out pretty flat? Who knows? I’ll have to try these ones.

Jenn@eatcakefordinner March 6, 2011 at 12:28 am

Sorry, one more thing, is coarse salt just kosher salt?

Becky March 6, 2011 at 7:49 am

Hi Jenn – I think you’ll really like these! It is amazing how much baked goods can vary if just one substitution is made, or even a different product brand is used. Baking, to me, is an art AND a science! That’s what makes it so much fun, right?
It is my understanding that coarse salt is referring to the way it is ground. Kosher salt is a prime example of a coarsely ground salt. You often find sea salt ground in this way as well. Hope that helps…let me know if you try them!

susan March 6, 2011 at 8:48 am

I always let my dough rest in frideg(pre shaped into balls). I think it makes all the difference in the world. These look delish(sound similar to the Jacque Torres cookies). Enjoy!

Becky March 6, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Susan – Yes, these cookies were adapted by Leite from a Jacques Torres recipe. I love keeping dough in the fridge and baking as the urge hits. Nothing beats a fresh, warm cookie!

sweet road March 6, 2011 at 5:54 pm

Your blog is beautiful! This is my first time coming across it and I love it, I’ll be back soon for more cookies!

Kathy - Panini Happy March 7, 2011 at 12:20 am

I alternate between this and David Lebovitz’ chocolate chip recipe as my go-to favorites. They’re really exceptional!

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls March 7, 2011 at 12:53 am

These look silly delicious! Bookmarked!!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

Jim March 28, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I made these over the weekend and they were great! Thanks so much.
Here are my results from the 4 different sheets I made:
1) As described above but only in fridge 30 mins, 18 mins @350 = crispy fairly flat cookie
2) 14 mins @ 375 = chewier cookie
3) overnight in fridge, 13 mins @ 380 = flat cookie, crispy edges with gooey center
4) overnight in fridge, no extra salt, no parchment hot cookie sheet, 14 mins @ 380 = higher cookie, crispy bottom, perfect center (soft chewy)

Next time I plan to try no parchment on cool cookie sheet 375 for 14 mins.

Becky March 28, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Hey Jim! I’m glad you enjoyed them. Thanks for all the research:-)

Hilary April 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm

These look amazing. I’m always looking for new chocolate chip cookie recipes to try. They seem pretty time consuming to make, but if they taste as good as they look it will be worth it!

Becky April 4, 2011 at 1:59 pm

These are so worth it Hilary! Plus, you can freeze extra dough balls for a quick cookie fix later!

Francesca April 11, 2012 at 12:37 am

These sound great Becky; thank you. What benefit does using bread flour as well as cake flour have? I’m intrigued… :p Hope to make these soon.

Becky April 11, 2012 at 8:54 am

Hi Francesca! All flours have different protein contents. Using the bread flour (higher protein) adds structure to the cookie while the cake flour (lower protein) provides the tenderness. At least that is my understanding;-)
Whatever the science these cookies are soooo good!!

Nancy October 9, 2013 at 11:56 am

These are SO delicious! Thank you for the recipe!