Simple Chocolate Malt Pudding

I’m not sure what I can really say about this pudding. It reminded me that I don’t make homemade pudding nearly often enough. It is simple and good…and I ate every last bite of the dish I had. Then I gave the rest away because I knew it wasn’t safe with me. The malt flavor isn’t overly pronounced…just enough to get a hint of chocolate malt. I adore chocolate malts so this was a really fun dessert! If I were old enough to feel nostalgic for the 50’s I totally would.

Simple Chocolate Malt Pudding

• 1/4 cup cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup chocolate malt powder
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 4 ounces high quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

In a heavy saucepan, whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, malt powder, and salt. Whisk in milk and place pan over med-low heat. Cook, stirring often until pudding thickens slightly…it will coat the back of a spoon. Add in chopped chocolate and continue to cook for 2-4 more minutes until pudding is smooth and thickened. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Pour into dessert dishes and chill for at least 30 minutes. If pudding skin isn’t your thing, place plastic wrap directly on top of pudding before chilling. Can be made a day ahead.

If desired, top with whipped cream and malted milk balls. Swoon!

1. Sara Van Heel says

Yum— this looks so good! I might have to steal some bites from my girls’! Thanks for shaing with us, sweet friend!

2. says

I LOVE malt pudding and have been meaning to invest in some malt powder for a long time now. The only problem is that I’d probably eat WAY too much of this :)

3. says

What an absolutely delicious recipe this is! I love this 50’s style theme of malt and that tall vintage glass. Perfection!

4. says

Oh man, I can imagine how yummy this must be. I am a huge malt lover. I just made some chocolate malt cupcakes the other day and I love to make chocolate malt milkshakes, but I have never heard of or thought of making chocolate malt pudding! You are amazing and I can’t wait to try this!

5. Becky says

Thanks Jenn! I love malt too. I haven’t tried chocolate malt cupcakes yet…guess I need to get on that!

6. wardah says

how many servings did you get? because I wanna make this yummy dessert for my friends tomorrow!

7. Becky says

I put this pudding in 3 large dessert glasses for the photos but then we shared! I think you could easily serve 4-6 depending on the size of your serving dishes.

8. Connie says

We have eaten this kind of pudding at Ruth’s Diner in Salt Lake City and it was fabulous! This one sounds just the same and I can’t wait to try it. One question…is Chocolate Malt Powder the same thing as Malted Milk powder?

9. Becky says

Yes, you can use either. I actually had Ovaltine so that is what I used. Usually I have Carnation (Nestle?) Malted Milk powder on hand. Ruth’s Diner sounds like my kind of place!