Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I am in love…with a grilled cheese. This sandwich is almost more than this pregnant lady can take. Gestating aside, who doesn’t love a good grilled cheese? And I’m all about jalapeno poppers…yum! Put the two together and it’s nothing short of magic. This sandwich actually exceeded my somewhat high expectations. The buttery crisp sourdough bread was the perfect compliment to the creamy cheese and spicy jalapenos. I used one jalapeno instead of two, I wasn’t sure how much extra kick I wanted today. In retrospect, I could have used two as it wasn’t overly spicy.

I so wish I could take credit for this fantastic idea but, alas, I cannot. Kevin from Closet Cooking was behind this moment of culinary genius. If you ever need a mouth-watering hot dip or an amazing sandwich be sure to check him out.  This grilled cheese was so good and easy. I can’t wait to make it again! Enjoy!

Jalapeño Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich

• 2 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
  • 2 slices sourdough bread
  • 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
  • 1 tablespoon cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup jack and cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 tablespoon tortilla chips, crumbled (I omitted)

Place the peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side down. Broil on the top rack for 8-14 minutes until the peppers are blackened. Place in a ziplock bag and seal. Let cool until you can handle them, about 20 minutes. Remove the skins from the peppers. They should “pinch” off easily. Assemble the sandwich and grill 2-3 minutes per side. Feast!

Source: Closet Cooking

1. says

Oh. My. Gosh! These look absolutely incredible:) I love jalepeno poppers and grilled cheese as well. Together? Perfection. Thanks for the great recipe!

2. says

I remember eating jalepeno poppers as if they were candy when I was little. I love spicy foods!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe! I’ll definitely be making this soon! :-)

3. says

Love jalapeño poppers… I discovered them freshman year of college and attribute them to a large amount of my freshman 15. Great looking grilled cheese!

4. Ann M. says

I should have guessed this came from Kevin. I adore the jalapeno popper dip I found on his site:-)

5. Kristi says

Just made a low calorie version with 100 calorie sandwich thins, 2% American slices and weight watchers cream cheese. Probably not AS good but guilt free and pretty tasty.

6. Leslie says

My husband and I made these this weekend and OMG, they were amazing!! Thank you for the great recipe. We both agreed that this was the best version of grilled cheese we’ve ever had.

7. Jamie says

I just stumbled across this and have none of the ingredients at home. Which is probably a good thing since it’s 10 pm and I probably don’t need to be making this right now. It looks amazing and I know what I’m having for lunch tomorrow.

8. Deborah says

Just saw my friend pinned this on Pinterest…and HAD to make it as my night time snack. DELISH! I didn’t bother with the roasting fresh jalapenos in the oven…I used slices straight from the jar (the kind you would put on nachos…found in the pickle aisle. I also added a dollop of raspberry jam. Oh boy. THANK YOU!

9. Jessica says

I found this recipe on pinterest and it kept nudging me. I just made it for dinner and all we can say is WOW! I don’t know why I never thought of this! Thank’s.. Delicious!

10. Tina Mentzer says

I just made these tonight for dinner and my husband and son LOVED them! I used jared jalapeños and chopped them up and bacon bits to make things just a little easier.

11. Aubre says

Hi Becky,

Can I please post this on my FB? This is amazing. I made this last night and I would like to share this with my friends. I will post the link to your site? I want to ask permission before I do this?

Aubre Hansen