Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

June 7, 2011

It doesn’t get much simpler than this delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce. Just a few ingredients and a little time on the stove and you have yourself an amazing treat. A little bit tart and a little bit sweet, this sauce is super versatile. Need some serving suggestions? I’m so glad you asked…I just so happen to have some!

1) Dollop onto pancakes, french toast, or waffles for a delicious morning treat.

2) Ladle over ice cream.

3) Spoon a little over baked oatmeal.

4) Serve with pound cake.

5) Eat straight from the jar (this would be one of my personal favorites!)

If you find yourself with a little extra rhubarb this is a simple and delicious way to enjoy it!

Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce

• 2 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 2 cups sliced strawberries
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup water

In a medium saucepan; combine rhubarb, sugar, and water and simmer until rhubarb begins to get tender. Add strawberries and cook an additional 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm or keep chilled until ready to serve.

Pound cake, fresh whipped cream and strawberry rhubarb sauce…mmmmm.

Jen @ BeantownBaker.com June 7, 2011 at 7:32 am

I’m crossing my fingers that we get rhubarb in our CSA box this week. If we do, I’m definitely making this.

Becky June 7, 2011 at 8:12 am

I hope you get some rhubarb Jen! This sauce is so good!

Rebecca M June 7, 2011 at 8:33 am

hi becky! another lovely recipe, do u have an idea how long it would last in an airtight jar? thanku! x

Becky June 7, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hi Rebecca, I’m thinking it should be good for 3-4 days in the fridge. I’m sure it would freeze well too! It just never lasts that long around here:-)

Bakerbynature June 7, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I am dreaming of this on top of a thick slice of lemon pound cake; what a great and simple recipe.

Shauna from Piece of Cake June 7, 2011 at 11:08 pm

This is so simple, perfect and gorgeous! The color is killing me. So lovely!

Minnesotamom June 13, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Made this on Friday for pancakes and ate some leftovers on toast, then on ice cream. So delicious!!

Becky June 13, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I’m so glad you liked it!!

Jenny June 14, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Wow, how simple is that?! I made mine in the crockpot this morning while I was doing other housework, and now I am having it on oatmeal for lunch :) I had a old tub of strawberries (the kind frozen in syrup) that I didn’t know what to do with, so I simply plopped that in my little crockpot and then used the strawberry container to measure the equal amount of rhubarb. I did add about half of the sugar too, because it needed a bit more than what was with the strawberries. I didn’t need the water, infact, I have a bit of extra liquid so I am reducing that yet in the crockpot for syrup for the kids’ pancakes tomorrow :)

Becky June 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm