{Ridiculously Good} Apple Dumplings

We had some friends over for dinner last night. On a Monday. Man, are we ever rebellious. It made a typical Monday night feel like a lazy weekend…and I loved every second!

We had pulled pork sandwiches for dinner. I made this BBQ sauce to go with them. Loved it! It’s so nice, particularly as a family with food allergies, to know exactly what is in your food. I also made coleslaw. Now, I am not normally a coleslaw fan but I really liked this coleslaw. I will definitely be making it again.

But I know what you really want to hear about. The dessert! These apple dumplings should come with a warning label. They are so bad for you. They are also so, so, so good. The cast of characters consists of wholesome ingredients such as sugar, butter, and Mountain Dew. Yes, Mountain Dew. You really can’t go wrong here;-)  I enjoy cooking from scratch most of the time. I will totally make an exception for these babies. Now I’m off to stash the leftovers in the freezer or there is no way I will be able to keep my hands off them! Please try these amazing apple dumplings. I dare you not to love them;-)

{Ridiculously Good} Apple Dumplings

• 2 whole Granny Smith apples
  • 2 cans (8 oz. cans) crescent rolls
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • cinnamon, to taste
  • 1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew

Peel and core the apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan.

Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour entire mixture over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.

Don’t forget to come back and tell me how much you love them!!

Source: The Pioneer Woman

Comments

1. Alisha says

I LOVE this recipe!! It’s so easy and always a crowd pleaser! I actually made this last night but with fresh peaches and it turned out fantastic!

2. says

One and a half cups of sugar AND a can of mountain dew? This makes my teeth hurt just thinking about. I’m so making these soon! (And I’m glad you decided to continue blogging! I’d really miss the delicious goodies you share.)

3. MH says

I really want to make these, but I don’t like desserts that are super saccharine sweet…for someone like me, would it be worth reducing the sugar (and by how much)? Or does somehow balance out and come together in a less-cloying way than the recipe suggests?

Also, do you think there would be any way to incorporate a bourbon flavor? Maybe sub out a quarter cup of the Mountain Dew for some spirits…I’d love to hear your thoughts on tweaking this a little bit!

4. Becky says

MH – I would think you could cut the sugar a bit in this. Swapping some of the Mt. Dew would make it less sweet as well. Only one way to find out!! Let me know if you try…I’d love to here the results:-)

5. Aimee says

MH – I’ve seen this recipe elsewhere and heard of people reducing the sugar and/or subbing the sugar for splenda and using diet pop as well as using half the pop by pouring it on half way through baking so it doesn’t reduce as much.

I think I’m going to try this with Root Beer. I think the vanilla and spice flavors will go GREAT with apples! Can’t wait to try.

6. MH says

I ended up cutting the sugar down to 1 cup, and honestly I think I could have reduced it a little more than that. I also think I could have cut the butter in half. I’m certainly not trying to make these “healthy” by any means. I just think that the amount of butter & sugar in this recipe hits a saturation level that doesn’t have much of a taste benefit beyond a stick of butter and a full cup of sugar – even less sugar if you use a whole can of Mountain Dew.

I substituted 1/4 cup of bourbon for the Mountain Dew and couldn’t even taste it, so I think next time I’ll reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup. Regardless, these were delicious and got tons of compliments. I’m looking forward to tinkering with the recipe in the future!

7. Mary says

Why is there a poached egg in the picture? The recipe doesn’t say anything about a poached egg. Are these a breakfast dish too?