Simple Oreo Ice Cream Cake

If you’ve been around Becky Bakes for awhile you know that my husband is not much of a dessert eater.  This makes it challenging for me to make him fancy birthday treats! One of the few things he does enjoy from time to time is ice cream cake. He likes it simple and it must include Oreos and vanilla ice cream, which are not bad requirements really. I had never found a go-to recipe until I sampled one made by my dear friend Sara this summer. Loved it! I was pleasantly surprised to find out how easy it was to make. I was also surprised that the topping was simply cool whip. I’m not usually a big cool whip fan but it is actually quite good on this cake.

The lovely thing about this dessert is that it is totally customizable. My hubby prefers plain old vanilla ice cream but the possibilities are endless. Cinnamon ice cream and caramel topping for the fall? Peppermint ice cream and hot fudge at Christmas? Use your imagination!

This will make an impressive looking dessert for your next get together. You don’t even have to tell anyone how easy it is to make;-)

Simple Oreo Ice Cream Cake

• 30 oreo cookies, crushed (plus more if you’d like to sprinkle some on top)
  • ½ c melted butter
  • ½ gallon ice cream (any flavor), slightly softened
  • 1 jar hot fudge sauce
  • 2 – 8 oz. containers cool whip, softened

Mix melted butter & oreos.  Press into a 9×13 inch pan. Soften fudge in microwave.  Smooth softened ice cream over cookie mixture.  Smooth fudge sauce over ice cream.  Spread cool whip over the ice cream.  Sprinkle with additional crushed oreos.  Freeze at least 2 hours.  Keep frozen until 15 minutes before serving.

Comments

1. says

I can’t believe what a simple recipe this is! I am so looking forward to trying it. My husband is quite the lover of Oreos and he took one look at this photo and said, “You have to make this!” :)

2. Kelley G. says

Just in time for my husband’s birthday Thursday! Plus, it is quick enough to make while the baby naps! Bonus!

Thanks for posting!
    K.

3. says

Who doesn’t love oreos? I think everyone does! Your recipe is so simple yet looks so delicious. I must try this really! My daughter will surely give me a hug after tasting this! 😉

4. says

Yum! I love ice cream cake….I’ve been desperately trying to figure out how to make the middle cookie layer like they do at DQ, but have been unsuccessful. If you ever figure it out, let us know! BTW…love your tag line “life is uncertain, eat dessert first”

5. Laura B says

Lots of hubbys are getting this dessert for their birthdays! Thanks for the recipe :) I am using Gluten Free ‘Oreos’ and mint chocolate chip ice cream… making it for his birthday tonight!

6. Jamie says

So I want to make this for my son’s first birthday. I want to be able to take this out of the pan and put it on a nice board because I got one of those edible images for the cake. Do you recommend lining the bottom of the pan with wax paper before putting the oreo crust. Do you think I’ll even be able to take out the whole cake without destroying it? I need your thoughts please. (I saw another recipe using a springform pan but that definitiey won’t be big enough for all the poeple I’m having so I was going to make one springform and one 13×9)

7. Becky says

Hi Jamie,
    I have not tried to take this out of the pan so I really can’t say for sure how it will work. But…if I were to try it I would line the pan with heavy duty foil. I think you’d be able to lift the ice cream out of the pan more easily with foil than waxed paper? Then, try lifting one end of the cake up and gently peeling away the foil. I think this should work! Crossing my fingers, let me know how it works out for you!
    Also, are you sure the edible image will work with the topping on this cake? I’ve never used them before so I have no idea! It just seems like this topping is a little “wetter” than your typical frosting on a cake. Not doubting you…just wouldn’t want that to disappoint on the big day! Good luck!

8. meghan says

Im very excited to try this recipe tonight! Just a quick question, do you think i would be able to add a layer of pound cake and another layer of ice cream and then put the whipped topping on top? or would that be too much?

9. Rebecca says

I would line the pan in Saran Wrap n have extra come out the sides so u could pull the ice cream cake out of the pan.