Double Chocolate Pancakes

I have been married for 8 years. One interesting thing about marriage is that you get to learn a LOT about the other person. For instance, I find it enjoyable to rearrange furniture. Maybe a little odd…but I’m sure I can’t be the only one, right? This particular quirk did take my husband a little getting used too. I suppose coming home to find all of your furniture in different positions would be a little disconcerting. He has adjusted marvelously though and hardly bats an eye now.

You know what’s even better than rearranging furniture? Updating my blog design. I find it bizarrely amusing and enjoyable.  Unfortunately, blog design is NOT my forte. But lucky for me, as I have mentioned before, I happen to have a long-suffering sis-in-law who excels at these types of things. Love that.  We just got together and changed a few things and I adore it! So simple and clean. There will be a few tweaks yet to come but I’m really enjoying the new look. We enlarged the size of the photos, because you know, it’s all about the food around here!

Speaking of food…how was that for a segue? I’ve spent the last couple of weeks perfecting the chocolate pancake. Don’t you think everyone should have chocolate pancakes from time to time? Yes, of course they should. And so should you! These are fluffy, decadent, and oh-so-rich and chocolaty. Enjoy, my friends!

Double Chocolate Pancakes

• 2 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 3 tbsp. butter, melted
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 1/4 cup cocoa
  • 3/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 3 tbsp. sugar
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, and sugar. Set aside. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs and milk until light and foamy. Stir in melted butter. Add in flour mixture and mix until just blended. It will be lumpy…that’s O.K. Fold in chocolate chips.
Drop by 1/4 cupfuls onto a griddle heated to medium heat. Bake until bubbles start to form. Flip and cook another 1-2 minutes. Serve with butter and maple syrup. An extra sprinkle of chocolate chips is pretty good too…not that I would know anything about that.
adapted from King Arthur Flour

1. Julie says

Love your new blog design….does your sil do this for others? What does she charge?

Our old blog could use a facelift…as my goal for 2012 is to post regularly on it! lol

2. Diana says

They look delicious! Would these work as waffles?? Sorry if my questions seems lame, I’m not much of a cook myself. haha

3. Bette says

Wow! But since we’re on a kind of “health kick,” would this work with a substitution of whole-wheat pastry flour?

4. Debbie says

Just made these. I wanted something easy and chocolatey for a snack. They are really good. I halved the recipe with no issues. Also used all organic/non-GMO ingredients and Earth Balance for the butter. Thank you for this recipe.

5. Lindah says

Oh my, Becky this looks so fav delicious😊. My husband loves waffles, I would love to make him some chocolate waffles, any suggestions? I use the Bisquick pancake flour, thanks I’m loving your recipes 😊

6. Mariam says

These look amazing Becky, I cant wait to try them. In fact I think I’ll make them this evening. My sister is a big sweet tooth and loves chocolate in any form. Thank you for sharing your recipe :)

7. says

So delicious! We live in Castle Rock, CO. These puffed up beautifully at 6500 feet with no alterations. Just wonderful. My kids were so pleased! Thanks!!

8. Geri says

I make this recipe for my “chocoholic” 7-yr-old every Sunday. Today, I changed it up a little by using all 100% Whole Wheat flour and replacing one tablespoon of sugar with one tablespoon of stevia. Result? Thick, fluffy, yummy chocolate pancakes! I noticed the batter was a bit thicker. But they were almost brownie-like! My son thanked me for giving him even more chocolate to eat. LOL! Thanks for the great chocolate chocolate pancake recipe!

9. Hayley says

Made these this morning…they were wonderful! Thanks for sharing such a great recipe :)

10. says

Made these and were really really good! Passed my test for pancakes – fluffy and easy! Really good with homemade orange syrup :) Thanks for sharing!

11. Skylar says

I’m going to make these pancakes next week, so excited to make pancakes.I just hope I don’t burn the pancakes because last time I made Chocolate Chip pancakes. I kept flipping them wrong and burning them.