Turtle Pumpkin Pie

November 15, 2011

Pie, pie, pie! I love me some pie:-) Pie is the quintessential Thanksgiving dessert isn’t it? Although probably not a popular sentiment this time of year, I really do not like traditional pumpkin pie. Blech. I think it is one of those things you either like or you don’t. I fall in the latter camp.

That is, until I saw this recipe for Turtle Pumpkin Pie! Now this is a pie I can (and did!) sink my teeth into. It’s super creamy and the flavors of caramel, pumpkin, and chocolate blend together perfectly! So if you’re looking for something a little different this Thanksgiving, give Turtle Pumpkin Pie a whirl. It’s easy to throw together and I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised with how delicious it is!

Turtle Pumpkin Pie

• 1 Oreo crust (directions below)
  • 2 tbsp. caramel ice cream topping
  • 2 tbsp. chopped pecans
  • 2 (3.4 oz) pkg. instant vanilla pudding
  • 1 cup cold milk
  • 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 2 tbsp. sugar
Prepare oreo crust. Cool. Combine 1 1/2 cups of cream and 2 tbsp. of sugar. Using a stand or hand mixer, whip cream until peaks form. Set aside.
Beat pudding mixes, milk, pumpkin and cinnamon together. Stir in half of the cream. Pour and spread into oreo crust. Top with remaining cream.
Drizzle caramel over pie. Sprinkle on pecans. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight. Slice and enjoy!
Oreo crust: Place 1 pkg. oreos and 1/3 cup melted butter in a food processor*. Blend until finely ground. Press into 9″ pie plate and bake @ 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
* You can use the “place oreos in plastic bag and pound to smithereens method” but a food processor is much less work if you have one!
How about you?!

What is your favorite Thanksgiving pie. It’s O.K. if you like pumpkin…I won’t judge;-)

adapted from: Kraft

edited to add: I just discovered that the lovely Amy of Sing for Your Supper has an almost identical pie on her blog…great minds think alike!

Tina November 15, 2011 at 1:54 pm

This looks amazing! Natalie saw it and wanted to make it right away! Then, I noticed you didn’t put up the directions for the oreo crust, and is it 2 cups, or 1.5 cups cream?

Becky November 15, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Gah! I’m a little distracted today…off to fix, thanks Tina:-)

Minnesotamom November 15, 2011 at 2:39 pm

My grandma’s pecan surprise pie is the best!

Becky November 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Oooo, that sounds delicious! Don’t leave me hanging though…what’s the surprise?

Esther November 16, 2011 at 6:03 pm

I am SO with you on your pumpkin pie stance. I just don’t see what’s so exciting about it. THIS, however, is something I can get excited about. In fact, I’m probably going to be making it for Thanksgiving now! Thanks so much!

Becky November 16, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I hope you love it Esther!

Amy @ The Nifty Foodie November 16, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Wow! That looks great! Where did you find this recipe?

Becky November 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

Hi Amy:-) Thanks for the reminder! I think I was a little distracted when I wrote this post and I forgot to include the source! I adapted this from one of the many torn out pages of recipes I have. This one was from a Kraft Foods magazine.

Karly November 21, 2011 at 2:59 pm

Oh my goodness. I can’t believe I’m about to say this, but I think you just made pumpkin pie EVEN BETTER.

Debby Dyer November 30, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I shared this recipe with my two daughters and after getting their Uhhhh Yes Please approval, my daughter made it. I have to tell you – everyone who was lucky enough to grab a piece of this pie absolutely raved about it. It is now going to be a staple holiday dessert for me. I think it would be good substituting the pumpkin for peanut butter too – not for the holidays necessarily. The only change I would make is add a bit more butter to the oreo crust to make it retain its form a bit better. But all in all, an absolutely outstanding dessert. Well worth the calories!

Becky December 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm

Hi Debby! Thanks for your thoughts on the pie. I agree, the oreo crust was a bit crumbly. I’ll bet a tad more butter would be just the trick! I also agree that it is worth the calories…so good!

Charles December 24, 2011 at 11:08 am

This recipe isn’t on your recipe page. Although it comes up in the Search. Just wanted you to know. happy Holidays!

Becky December 24, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Thanks Charles! I’m a little behind on updating my recipe index. I will get on that:-)