Raspberry Pretzel Dessert

January 9, 2012

Raspberry Pretzel Dessert. Raspberry Pretzel Salad? Did you grow up with this out-of-this-world experience? This is a variation of an old Kraft recipe that has been floating around, like forever. Not that anybody told me about it. If I were the type to be bitter I most certainly would be.

I first saw this crazy pretzel/jell-o concoction on some blogs here and there. Then I thought I remembered that my bff said she made something similar. Wait. Am I getting too old to say bff? There must be some sort of age limit on that. Whatev.

Long story short. Our families hung out on Christmas day and she brought this amazing dessert? salad? with her. I died. It was so good. I’m pretty sure we had a whole meal that was super awesome but I’m telling you that this is the only thing I remember!

And then I had to make it again…to share with you. And I may have wanted to eat it again. It’s so not foodie of me. I know. It’s jell-o…and cool whip. But I totally don’t care, this stuff is magic. If you’ve never tried this, you must. But be warned…you will be hooked!

Raspberry Pretzel Dessert

Crust:

• 1 ½  cups crushed pretzels
  • ½ cup sugar
  • ½ cup butter, melted

Press into 9X13 inch pan and bake at 325 for 6 minutes.  Cool

Filling:

• 8 oz pkg. cream cheese, softened
  • ½ c sugar
  • 8 oz container cool whip

Cream together cream cheese and sugar.  Then add cool whip.  Spread on top of cooled crust.

Topping:

• 6 oz pkg. raspberry jello
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 24 oz bag frozen raspberries (if using fresh, add ½ cup more water)

Pour boiling water into jello and whisk until dissolved.  Add raspberries and mix well.  Place in refrigerator until it is the consistency of egg white.  Then pour on top of cool whip layer.  Refrigerate until firmly set, overnight works well.

Note – This is a perfect make-ahead dish to take to a gathering.

Recipe originally from Kraft (I think?) but more recently from my dear friend Sara.

Faith Walter January 9, 2012 at 6:19 am

Hi Becky, Thanks for the shout-out! Your pretzel salad looks so delicious, I might have to make some soon. The stuff is addicting! God bless you and nice to meet you this way :) . Take care.

Becky January 9, 2012 at 6:53 am

Totally addicting! Nice to “meet” you too Faith!

Ellie A. January 9, 2012 at 7:47 am

Oh Becky…Now if this is the way to start the new year! OHH I have to try this out for the family this week! I can only imagine how YUMO this is gonna be :)

Becky January 9, 2012 at 8:05 am

Can’t wait to hear what you think Ellie! Happy New Year!

Erin January 9, 2012 at 8:35 am

Oo I have never had this with raspberries, but have made it with strawberries before and loved every bite! Will have to try this next time.

rollerpimp January 9, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I am a huge fan of the strawberry version. I love seeing other fruits with this, I have played around with the idea of using peaches so this might be my inspiration.

Angie Johnson January 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Oh my goodness! This stuff is so amazing!!! My mom made this over Christmas with strawberries and my Grandmother and I ate it up!! She seriously has to make this every year now!!

Becky January 9, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Angie, I know! When I tried it I just couldn’t believe that I had never had it before! So wrong! Well, we just have to make up for lost time right? :-)

Becky January 9, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I think this recipe could have many, many delicious variations!

Becky January 9, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Hey Erin, I think that strawberries are the classic version. My friend swears by the raspberry version saying that the tartness of the raspberries really offsets the sweetness of the filling. I just think you almost can’t go wrong with this recipe! Nice to hear from you:-)

Chryss January 10, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Thank you for posting this recipe! My grandma used to make it and never wrote down the recipe. We’ve tried to make it without the recipe, without much success. Now here’s a recipe!

Jackie January 10, 2012 at 11:04 pm

This is fantastic. My mother made this desert for my birthday for years. Finally I have the recipe. Thank you Christina (the joy of my life) for finding and sending me this recipe. Love mom. Ps thank you for the recipe!

Becky January 11, 2012 at 7:59 am

Jackie & Chryss – LOVE that you’ve found an old favorite! This one is a winner for sure:-)

Dawn January 11, 2012 at 11:13 am

This is one of my all time favorite desserts. I have done it with peaches and loved it.

Becky January 11, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Peaches sound so good too!

Caitlin January 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

OMG I forgot about this recipe until seeing this now! I can’t wait to make it! the combo of cream cheese and cool whip would make anything taste delish…

Becky January 19, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Caitlin – love, love, love this recipe!! Another version may appear again soon:-)

caitlin January 19, 2012 at 7:18 pm

yay! i can’t wait to see it and try it :)

mrs.iHB @ iheartbudgets.net July 14, 2012 at 11:26 pm

This is my all-time favorite dessert that my mom makes!!! She replaces the water with pineapple juice and one time we accidentally used strawberry jello instead of raspberry and we liked it even better :)

Tiffany Hupp November 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Just a hint because I have made this mistake before. Make sure you let the jello sit long enough before you pour it over the cream cheese mixture. I did not and it ran right to the bottom and made my pretzels soggy :( ((( I was very sad and tried to eat it anyway… It was not very good. :(

Tiffany Hupp November 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Just to be clear when I made it and let the jello sit long enough it was scrumptious! :)

Brandi November 22, 2012 at 10:25 am

This looks amazing!! I just whipped it up to share at my family Thanksgiving. Now the hard part will be getting it dinner without sampling it first!

Mary December 4, 2012 at 11:04 am

Had this dessert about 20 yrs ago when somebody took to an office party during the holiday season. i just loved it. I had not thought about it till now. I’m making this week I remember how delish it was.

Breanna Ellevold July 31, 2013 at 11:01 am

This dessert is also really good inverted! I put the jello on the bottom of the pan, then the coolwhip mixture, and then the pretzel mixture on the top! I do not bake the pretzel mixture. The pretzels add a salty crunch because they don’t get as soggy as they do on the bottom of this dessert.