Brown Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies

Cream cheese in chocolate chip cookies? What?! This definitely falls under the “why didn’t I think of that?” category. When I first saw cream cheese chocolate chip cookies on Foodgawker I was immediately taken with the idea. I promptly filed the recipe under “to try….soon!” Of course, you know I can’t leave well enough alone so I came up with my own version that utilizes another recent cookie trend – brown butter! Cream cheese and brown butter. Oh yes, I totally went there. These cookies are a surprising combination of cakey and chewy. I would normally never go for a cakey cookie but these are strangely addicting! I will definitely make them again.

In other news. Notice any changes around here? Like a Becky Cooks tab?! Woohoo! I love bringing you tons of sweet treats. It is Becky Bakes after all. But I’m looking forward to sharing a few savory dishes from time to time, you know, just to break up the sugar rush.

Also, check out the handy new format for recipes below. You can now easily print recipes. Um…yay! Oh, and if you scope out waaay below you’ll notice some handy little share tabs that you can use for pinning and other such nonsense. Not that you’re as obsessed with pinning as I am right now! Over the weekend, Pinterest and I became official. Check it out: I am pumped to pin!

Back to the cookies…enjoy these my friends!  I would, however, suggest setting aside a couple of cups of dough in the fridge or freezer. You’ll be glad you did (hint, hint)!

5.0 from 3 reviews
Brown Butter Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • ¾ cups brown sugar
  • ¾ cups white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3¼ cups flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 cups chocolate chips
  1. Melt the butter in a saucepan until brown and set it aside to cool.
  2. Cream the butter, cream cheese and both sugars together with an electric mixer until smooth.
  3. Add the eggs and beat until combined.
  4. Turn the mixer on low and mix in the flour, salt and baking soda until just combined.
  5. Add the chocolate chips and mix until just incorporated.
  6. Cover the dough and refrigerate until chilled, several hours or overnight.
  7. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a few trays with baking paper.
  8. Roll ¼ cup size balls of dough and place them on the trays. Flatten slightly.
  9. Bake for 9-12 minutes, until the edges are golden.
Measuring out the dough by a ¼ cup makes a large cookie but I found that this method worked the best. I initially used my cookie scoop but the cookies didn't turn out as pretty. Large scoops, rolling, and slightly flattening before baking produces a big, bakery-like cookie that's pretty much impossible to resist!

recipe inspired by Butter

1. says

Following you on Pinterest :) It’s a dangerous addiction!

Cream cheese in cookies? Sounds crazy, looks amazing! And I’m looking forward to seeing what recipes you share with the cooking section :)

2. says

YES, cream cheese and chocolate chips – I’m in! Your photos are so clean and pretty – love looking at them. Happy Saturday!

3. Maya says

Mmmmm I made these yesterday / this morning 😀 Sooo delicious! They look just like yours ^_^ I used some mini Hershey kisses (which … turned out to be larger than chocolate chips o.O) but they compliment the massive cookies.
    I admit I was a bit discouraged when my cookie dough turned fairly hard coming out of the fridge from an overnight chill. But after letting them sit out a bit, the dough softened up enough to get out of the bowl and into the 1/4 cup.
    These were a big hit, definitely going to make them again. Thanks! <3

4. Jessica Hawes says

I am in the process of making your brown butter cream cheese chocolate chip cookies…..i had to resist just sitting down with a spoon and eating the raw cookie dough! the nuttiness of the browned butter and the richness of the cream cheese just brings chocolate chip cookies to a whole new level of addiction!!

Absolutely love!!

5. Becky says

So glad you liked them Maya! Yes, it helps to let the dough soften back up a bit after chilling. LOVE the idea of the mini Hershey’s kisses! Big chunks of chopped chocolate would be good too…I may be making these again very soon! :-)

6. Becky says

Yes, this cookie dough is soooo good Jessica! I found resistance to be quite futile;-) Darn, I am really craving these again!

7. Kristen says

Hi, I’m making these this weekend and have a question. Did you use salted or unsalted butter? If I use salted should I not use the full tsp. of salt as well?

Thank you!

8. Becky says

Hi Kristen! I used unsalted butter. Salt content in salted butter can vary. You can use salted butter (I do all the time!), maybe just decrease the additional salt to 1/2 tsp.? You’ll love these:-)

9. Brian says

Is the brown sugar packed? These look amazing. I make a similar recipe but this adds in the cream cheese. I love anything with cream cheese so how can I not try this!? Loving your recipes, thanks so much!

10. says

I normally don’t like cakey-type cc cookies, but these definitely look interesting. I made up the dough today, with a few of my own tweaks (like adding some homemade vanilla, coffee granules dissolved in Kahlua, toasted pecans, and decreasing the salt slightly). Can’t wait to bake them up.

11. Becky says

I don’t generally like cakey cookies either Judy. However I found the texture in these to be really interesting and good. Sounds like you made some yummy tweaks…can’t wait to hear how they turn out!!

12. Mickie B. says

A Favoriet recipe to be sure..The flavor is out of this world..I added 1T. Vanilla, with seeds..Really..Really GOOD!!
    I’ll see how the guys at work like ’em tomorrow…

13. says

I’ve had this recipe saved forever and I’m finally making them this weekend! I can’t wait! I was wondering though- about how many cookies does this recipe make? Thanks!

14. Becky says

Hi Ruby! You’ll love these cookies…so yummy:-) I have to be honest and say I never pay much attention to the yield on recipes. Especially cookies…I just keep extra dough in the freezer until a craving strikes! Plus, it really depends on the size of the cookie one makes…sorry I’m not more helpful.

15. Georgia says

Okay, so this probably sounds like a stupid question…but how do i go about freezing the cookie dough? Do i just put it in a freezer bag or a freezer safe container? I’ve never frozen cookie dough before so i don’t have clue as to how to do it lol. Also do you know how long it will last in the freezer? I think i might double the batch and just freeze most of it so i have it on hand when i’m having a craving for some!!!

16. Becky says

Oh Georgia…welcome to the world of freezing cookie dough! You are going to love it here:-) I use Ziploc freezer bags. If you want to be able to make a few cookies at a time be sure to freeze the dough “pre-scooped”. I’m sure the dough would keep in the freezer 2-3 months anyway…I’m afraid I’ve never personally found out, the dough always seems to disappear before then;-)

17. Lori says

I want to try this recipe, but I am hesitant because I live in Albuquerque and wanted to check if there were any alterations for high elevation…? When I’ve made chocolate chip cookies before (& tried many many times, many many ways) they almost always turn out flat and crispy.

Do you have any suggestions or changes to make these cookies in a high-elevation city?

18. Mia says

Hi Becky! I’m planning to bake this wonderful cookies tooonight. I wanna stop guessing soooo I was just wondering if this recipe results to the chewy or like soft ones? 😉 I hoooooooooooope. Thanks!