Mmmm…I want another piece right now. I have one last lonely slice sitting in my freezer as we speak. I promised I would save it for someone (you know who you are!) but I’m telling you, that little slice of heaven is in serious jeopardy of being devoured.
This thing of beauty takes a little preparation time but don’t be swayed. None of the steps are overly complicated, just start ahead of when you’d like to serve it. I made the cheesecake component one day and the mousse and ganache the next day.
|Triple Chocolate Decadence Cheesecake|
- 1 pkg. chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos, or a gluten-free alternative)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 5 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/8 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used dark cocoa)
- 2 large eggs
- 7 ounces white chocolate, chopped into very small pieces
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, plus 1 cup
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter 9-inch-diameter springform pan with 3-inch-high sides.
- Blend cookies in processor until finely ground; blend in sugar.
- Add melted butter and process until well blended.
- Press crumbs evenly onto bottom (not sides) of prepared pan.
- Bake just until set, about 5 minutes. Cool while preparing filling. Maintain oven temperature.
- Stir chopped chocolate in metal bowl set over saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth.*
- Remove bowl from over water; cool chocolate until lukewarm but still pourable.
- Blend cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder in processor until smooth.
- Blend in eggs 1 at a time.
- Mix in lukewarm chocolate.
- Pour filling over crust; smooth top.
- Bake until center is just set and just appears dry, about 1 hour. Cool 5 minutes. Run knife around sides of cake to loosen. Chill overnight.
- On to the mousse! In a large glass bowl, place the chopped white chocolate and set aside.
- Place the egg yolks and sugar in a small bowl and whisk until pale in color.
- In a small saucepan, over low heat, bring 1/4 cup of the cream to a simmer, and slowly add the cream into the yolk and sugar mixture to temper.
- Pour the cream and yolk mixture back into pan and stir with a wooden spoon until it coats the back of it.
- Pour hot mix into a fine mesh sieve placed directly over bowl with the chopped chocolate.**
- Stir until completely smooth.
- In another bowl, whip remaining 1 cup of the cream to almost stiff peaks.
- Fold half the whipped cream into the white chocolate mix to lighten and then fold in the remaining whipped cream.
- Spread mousse over cheesecake and chill while preparing the ganache.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat cream just to a simmer.
- Add chocolate and let sit 1-2 minutes, whisk until smooth.
- Cool just slightly, pour evenly over mousse.
- Chill several hours.
I made this gluten-free by using K-Toos cookies for the crust. The rest of the ingredients are naturally gluten-free.
* The chocolate can be melted in the microwave as long as it is stirred frequently and watched carefully.
** You know I’m way to impatient to bother with straining:-)
cheesecake adapted from my Dark Chocolate Cheesecake
white chocolate mousse from Food Network