I love chocolate. Deeply. I’ll admit it. I’m not ashamed. But every now and then, particularly in the spring, I start craving lemons. They are light, refreshing, and mouth-puckeringly delicious. Lemon curd (on anything!). Lemon pie. Lemon poppyseed muffins. Lemon brownies?
When you think of brownies, it’s usually all about the chocolate right? Well, why not mix it up a little?! These lemon brownies will make you happy. You’ll dig ‘em…pinky swear. They are moist and dense but have a light, sunny flavor. They’re what happens when you have a hankering for sweetened condensed milk. Yes, that can totally happen.
Lemon brownies are a little hard to describe so you’ll just have to make these and see for yourself! Trust me. You won’t regret it.
|Sticky Gooey Lemon Brownies||
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons butter, melted & slightly cooled
- 3 large eggs
- 1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon packed lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Butter a 9×13″ baking dish.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar & salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted butter, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice & zest until combined.
- Mix the butter mixture into the flour mixture until well combined.
- Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes until set and just golden brown. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out mostly clean.
- Let the bars cool slightly in the pan before glazing.
- For Glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar, 3 tablespoons fresh- squeezed lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon packed lemon zest until smooth.
- Pour over the lemon brownies and cool before serving.
adapted from Sweet Anna’s