This bread is a revelation. Is it the very best banana bread I have ever eaten? Probably not. Is it a really good, catch myself eating a third slice, kind of banana bread? Absolutely! I have made variations of this bread three times in the last two weeks. It’s the bakers version of pinching myself. Seriously, finding a tasty recipe for gluten-free banana bread is a challenge in itself. Adapting it to exclude eggs and dairy (butter!) too, well, I honestly wasn’t sure I’d ever get results like this.
Feel free to tweak to your tastes. We have made this with and without chocolate chips and I think shredded coconut would be a great addition as well. I hope you’ll enjoy this bread as much as we’ve been enjoying it!
|Gluten-Free Banana Bread|
- 2-1/4 cups gluten-free flour blend*
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups mashed banana
- 1/2 cup oil (your choice, we used coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional, but yummy!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- Mix together flour blend, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar. Set aside.
- Stir together remaining ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, stirring well.
- Stir in chocolate chips if using.
- Pour and spread batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes**, or until golden and toothpick comes out almost clean.
- Cool. Slice. Enjoy.
*I’ve been using The Gluten Free Pantry all-purpose flour blend. I buy the 6-packs from Amazon. It has made my life SO much easier.
**Cover bread with foil about 40 minutes into baking if it is getting too dark on top.
adapted from Alisa Cooks