Fall is almost here! Well, it still “feels” warm out, but fall is my favorite season so I’m getting a jump on it! Before we know it there will be a chill in the air. I know I’ve said it before, but fall baking is the best! Generally I think of apples and pumpkin, but quick on their heels are the warm spices that conjure up fall (and winter!) baking memories. Cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger…you’ll find them all in these Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies. Oh yes, chocolate too. These cookies are the best of all worlds!
Besides being delicious, these cookies are also secretly healthier than your average cookie. Secretly, because unless you tell, no one will be the wiser. No one will know that these are made with 100% whole wheat flour and just the right amount of unrefined raw sugar. You could use brown sugar but I’ve really become fond of using raw sugar!
These cookies are rolled in raw sugar too, giving them the most utterly delightful crackly exterior. Followed be a warm gooey chocolate interior, so long as you eat them properly…shortly upon their exit from the oven. Should you not be able to devour them immediately, no worries…they still stay nice and crackly with a lovely soft and chewy center.
If you were still trying to hang on to the last shred of summer. I’m sorry. Hopefully these cookies will be worth it?
|Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies|
- 1 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup raw sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 8 ounces chocolate, roughly chopped
- extra raw sugar, for rolling
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter cookies sheets.
- Cream butter and freshly grated ginger together with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the raw sugar and molasses. Mix.
- Add the egg and beat until combined.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and cocoa in a separate bowl.
- Mix flour mixture into butter mixture until combined.
- Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Bake @ 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. They should be set but don’t overbake.
adapted from Tasty Kitchen
Adore the combination of chocolate and gingerbread? These Chocolate Kissed Gingerbread Cookies are a keeper too!
Craving more of the comforting warmth of molasses? Check out one of my favorite pancakes…Buckwheat Molasses Pancakes.