I told you that you’d be seeing more pumpkin soon and here it is! I love oatmeal (as you may have noticed). And pumpkin is not so bad either, so this breakfast was pretty much heaven for me. Creamy, rustic, spiced deliciousness. Healthy fall comfort food at its finest. This also happens to be the perfect way to make your house smell amazing! I’ve never toasted spices before and the smell almost knocked me right over. Way better than any of those fancy fall candles.
I would be perfectly content to eat this every morning for the entire fall. Enjoy!
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ cup agave
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 4½ cups milk or water
- 1½ cups steel cut oats
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Toast the spices in a saucepan over low heat for about 2 minutes, they will smell fragrant and divine!
- Stir in the agave and pumpkin.
- Add the milk.
- Raise the heat and bring to a simmer.
- Stir in the oats and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until tender. 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with your choice of toppings. I used milk and a little extra drizzle of agave. Dried cranberries and/or pecans would be good!
Source: The New York Times Cookbook