Oh man. You guys, this pie is so good!! I made this to share with friends and it is a goooood thing because I could have eaten the whole thing by. my. self. I am such a sucker for sweet and salty. And chocolate. This pie is pretty much the best of all worlds.
See those caramelized pretzels on top? That was a last minute epiphany. I will be thinking of more uses for those!! They almost didn’t make it to the pie because they were just that munchable. Sweet and salty perfection.
Oh yes! And those are gluten-free pretzels. Which makes this here dessert totally gluten-free! Did you know that gluten-free pretzels are actually quite good? I used Glutino Pretzel Twists. Believe it or not, I have seen these at Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart is not my favorite place to go, but I’ll brave it for these pretzels:-)
This pie is well worth the few steps it takes to make. Try it. Love it. I know you will!
|Chocolate-Covered Pretzel Pie|
- 3 cups gluten-free pretzels
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, divided and lightly packed
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/4 cups + 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor combine pretzels, 1/4 cup brown sugar, and butter; blend until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Press mixture firmly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie pan.
- Bake crust until fragrant and just turning golden, 10 to 15 minutes; cool.
- In a medium saucepan whisk together 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, salt, and milk.
- Place over medium heat and stir until sugar is just dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in egg yolks. Cook, stirring constantly, until custard thickens and just boils, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in bittersweet chocolate and vanilla.
- Place pan in a bowl of ice and water and stir occasionally until custard cools.
- While custard cools, make a chocolate ganache to cover pie crust.
- Place chopped semi sweet chocolate in medium bowl.
- Heat 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream in microwave about 30-40 seconds (just until boils).
- Pour warm cream over chocolate and stir until melted.
- Pour over cooled pie crust, using rubber spatula to help spread chocolate up the sides and over entire bottom of crust.
- Place in refrigerator or freezer until set.
- Pour custard into cooled crust with hardened ganache and press plastic wrap directly onto surface.
- Chill until firm, 4 hours or up to a day.
- Whip cream and confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks form, spread over pie and garnish with extra pretzels and chocolate shavings. (See note to garnish with caramelized pretzels!)
For caramelized pretzel topping: In saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar. Bring to a boil. Stir in 1 cup of pretzel pieces. Spread topping onto a sheet of waxed paper and let cool. Garnish pie.
recipe via Tidy Mom